Available: September 25, 2012
On his long-awaited follow-up to his critically lauded 1996 Criss Cross debut, Penn's Landing (Criss 1134), and the equally powerful Play-Penn (Criss 1201), from 2001, master drummer-percussionist Clarence Penn presents Dali in Cobble Hill, a meditation on how the iconic Surrealist painter might have digested a stroll through Penn's Brooklyn neighborhood.
The eight originals and two standards incorporate a variety of moods, flavors, and strategies that reflect Penn's extensive activity as a sideman for jazz' best-and-brightest over the past decades; his ensemble of grandmaster generational contemporaries --- Chris Potter on tenor saxophone and bass clarinet, Adam Rogers on guitar, and Ben Street on bass --- inhabit the stories, playing with deep imagination and virtuosic craft. A must-hear.
Clarence Penn (D / Perc)
Chris Potter (Ts / Ss / BCl)
Adam Rogers (G)
Ben Street (B)
1. The B 61 (Clarence Penn) 7:10
2. Cobble Hill (Clarence Penn) 5:34
3. A Walk On The B-H-P (Clarence Penn) 7:49
4. Dali (Clarence Penn) 6:11
5. I Hear Music (Burton Lane / Frank Loesser) 7:02
6. Mr. C (Clarence Penn) 6:46
7. Persistence Of Memory (Clarence Penn) 6:00
8. My Romance (Richard Rodgers / Lorenz Hart) 7:01
9. Solato's Morning Blues (Clarence Penn) 6:06
10. Zoom Zoom (Clarence Penn) 6:21
Total Time: 66:07
Recorded February 2, 2012 in Brooklyn, NY, USA by Michael Marciano
|Brand||Criss Cross Jazz|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Birdland Records users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.