In late 1962, Eli (Lucky) Thompson returned to New York from France after a five-year absence. His European experience had provided him with a well-defined perspective on life and insight on himself. Three years later, in 1965, he became his own producer and soon did two albums in partnership with the independent label, Rivoli, both of which are included in this CD. It was a new experience for the man who said I chose the road I took. The easiest thing for anyone to do is to sell himself. Today, you even have to stand in line to do that. In the sixties, while most tenorists were aping Coltrane, Lucky was playing Thompson, with unceasing invention and drive & he had an individual sound on soprano as well. Melodically and harmonically, his lines always had a great deal of substance. There is no coasting, everything is meatily inventive.
01. Love (Martin-Blane) 5:13
02. Evil Eva (Lucky Thompson) 4:45
03. Passionately Yours (Lucky Thompson) 5:19*
04. Slow Dough (Lucky Thompson) 5:00
05. I'll Be Around (Alec Wilder) 2:46*
06. Willow Weep For Me (Ann Ronell) 7:37
07. Caressable (Lucky Thompson) 3:14*
08. On Tippy Top (Lucky Thompson) 2:41*
09. My Old Flame (Costow-Johnson) 6:26
10. Anthropology (Parker-Harris) 6:00
11. Star Eyes (Raye-DePaul) 3:01*
12. You Stepped Out Of A Dream (Kahn-Brown) 4:21
13. Open Haus (Lucky Thompson) 2:47
14. Poor Butterfly (Golden-Hubbell) 2:32*
15. Who Can I Turn To (Bricusse-Newly) 2:55*
16. Kinfolks Corner (Lucky Thompson) 5:42
(*) Lucky Thompson plays tenor sax
Tracks #1-9, from the 12" LP "Lucky is Back! (Then, So Is Love)" (Rivoli LP R-40)
Tracks #10-16, from the 12" LP "Kinfolks Corner" (Rivoli LP R-44)
#1-9: Lucky Thompson, soprano & tenor sax; Tommy Flanagan, piano; Willie Ruff, bass; Walter Perkins, drums.
#10-13: Oliver Jackson, drums, replaces Walter Perkins.
#14-16: Same personnel as #10-13 plus Frank Anderson, organ; Wally Richardson, guitar. Tommy Flanagan out.
Recorded in New York City, at Jaysina Studios, 1965 (#1-9) & 1966 (#10-16)
|Brand||Fresh Sound Records|
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Birdland Records users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.