Intrinsically united by a love of music, no more so than an oeuvre that has enthralled both from an early age, be it music their parents may have passed on to discovering the wonders of crate digging as they entered their formative years - Jazz On The Corner Two meanders through those times from the old to the new and back again via a diverse selection of tracks.
As Freeman proffers in the album’s sleeve notes, “…going through my records again for things that haven’t appeared on loads of comps (as far as I know of anyway) is a fine excuse to do my favourite thing and pretend it’s work.” Meanwhile Piller alludes to his youth and younger self detailing, “From the moment I first heard Gilles Peterson on pirate radio back in the mid-eighties I fully embraced the underground London Jazz scene. It took me back to my childhood, accompanying my dad to jazz pubs like the Cauliflower in Ilford. Later, reminiscing of DJ’s whilst frequenting the likes of Upstairs At Ronnie’s and other word-of-mouth Soho jazz spots.
Even prior to setting up Acid Jazz Records some thirty years back, Eddie Piller was championing new artists, whether spinning tracks in clubs, mentoring fledgling acts or A&Ring he has continued to forge forward and ever present the forefront of the UK soul jazz scene. It’s that ongoing movement that first brought the pair together whilst appearing on a radio show and despite busy itineraries have both mined their collections to present a concise and varied compilation.
Disc 1 – Martin Freeman
01. Stanley Turrentine - The Magilla
02. Nina Simone - I’m Gonna Leave You
03. The Jazz Crusaders - Tough Talk
04. Roberta Flack - Compared To What
05. Duke Pearson - Gira,Girou (Round and Round)
06. Lonnie Liston Smith & The Cosmic Echoes - Summer Days
07. Roy Ayers - A Tear To A Smile
08. Les McCann - Us
09. Johnny Mercer – That Old Black Magic
10. The Modern Jazz Quartet - Concorde
11. Horace Silver - Tranquilizer Suite Part 4: Perseverance and Endurance
12. Chico Hamilton - Conquistadores
Disc 2 – Eddie Piller
01. Emanual K Rahim & The Kaliqs – Al Amin (The Knower)
02. Brian Auger Oblivion Express – Freedom Jazz Dance
03. Gene Ammons – Jungle Strut
04. George Benson – Shape Of Things To Come
05. Chris Earland – Leaving This Planet
06. Emma Jean-Thackray – Ley Lines
07. Nicola Conte – Caravan
08. Lorez Alexandria – Nature Boy
09. Chet Baker – Do It The Hard Way
10. The Lyman Woodard Organisation – Creative Musicians
11. The Bukky Leo Quintet – Rejoice In Righteousness
12. Patrice Rushen – Haw Right Now
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Birdland Records users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.